Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Job Search Drama

I, like many other 20-somethings, am still actively searching for opportunities in employment. With the job market remaining stagnant and with the unemployment rate now at  around 9.1%, things are looking quite bleak. Jennifer Lee posted an article in the New York Times last month (link below)
and noted that many people in our age range are stuck in limbo--"generation limbo"she called us. I've met many individuals that share this sense of futility; like Laura from Humboldt county. I met her on my way to a photo shoot in Morro Bay. Laura was a graduate from UC Berkeley with a major in Environmental Engineering (or something to that effect), yet she told me she made more money painting houses. She then proceeded to propagate the now acceptable mantra of: "Why did I even go to college in the first place?"

The only defense against her solid argument was that it was she had invested time and energy into something that would yield long-term profit instead of instant gratification. Naturally I had to submit to her claim that the popular myth of "go to college-get a degree-get a great job" is exactly that...a myth. Instead, I asserted that the economy is forcing a lot of us to think creatively about what we want to do with our futures in order to prevent from sinking. Some of my colleagues collaborated and formed companies, (appsynthmedia.com) others took their individual talents and set up metaphorical kiosks in order to market themselves (selinahu.com). Hence, the fate of an individual is up his or her will to succeed and depth of skills.

(http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/01/fashion/recent-college-graduates-wait-for-their-real-careers-to-begin.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=generation%20limbo&st=cse)

No comments:

Post a Comment